8/19/2011

poor mister crow




I went out for a run around 11 last night, apparently showing a characteristic disregard for self-preservation, and spotted this gorgeous guy on a lawn, a block from my house. An entire, intact crow carcass, couldn't have been dead more than a day.
It looks like he (she?) died from a head wound; it's the only source of trauma I can see. I didn't have gloves when I went to collect him though (more disregard for self-preservation?) so I haven't handled him thoroughly, he could be wounded beneath his wings or something. But I'm only interested in the skeleton, especially the skull (!!). Gonna bury him for a few months in a decay cage, dig him back up before the ground freezes. If that's not enough time I'll have to wait for the spring thaw.


As far as I can tell it's not illegal for me to possess him, luckily, since crows seem to be one of the only birds not protected by the Migratory Birds Convention Act nor by federal/provincial legislation. He'll be good company for my chicken bones.



No comments:

Post a Comment